Don't miss out on new posts! Sign up! Also, visit the VHT Forums!
Google Cloud no mor...

Notifications
Clear all

Google Cloud no more egress fees for global customers

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin
Topic starter

Wow, this is pretty exciting news for cloud customers. I am wondering if Amazon and Microsoft will follow? Any of you guys @malcolm-r @t3hbeowulf @termv @jnew1213 been bitten by egress fees in the past with employers getting data out of the cloud?

Google has announced it will stop charging fees for data transfers out of its cloud for customers switching to other providers, marking a significant shift from typical industry practices.

In a recent blog post, Amit Zavery, Google Cloud's general manager, vice president, and head of platform, highlighted this change as a testament to Google's dedication to fostering an “open, secure and interoperable” cloud ecosystem.

Zavery emphasized the need for cloud flexibility to adapt to evolving business needs, stating, “When customers’ business needs evolve, the cloud should be flexible enough to accommodate those changes.”

Effective immediately, this policy allows Google Cloud users to transfer their data to different providers or on-premise setups without incurring any costs, applicable worldwide.

Typically, hyperscale cloud providers charge a data egress fee for transferring data out of their clouds, a practice known as data egress charging. However, this approach has been under scrutiny for potentially being anti-competitive.

A recent Ofcom review of the UK cloud market questioned the necessity of these charges for cost recovery, suggesting they might be more about hindering competition. It pointed out that such fees deter customers from switching to different cloud services, noting that Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft also charge for data transfers between clouds.

The Ofcom report highlighted the adverse impact of egress

fees on customers, noting that they substantially raise the costs of using services from alternative cloud providers. This situation often leads customers to design their cloud architectures in ways that minimize egress costs, which can limit their ability to benefit from potentially more suitable services offered by competing providers.

https://www.computerweekly.com/news/366566295/Google-Cloud-abolishes-data-egress-fees-for-global-customer-base

Posted : 15/01/2024 9:21 am
JNew1213
(@jnew1213)
Eminent Member

Nope. Never personally been hit by egress fees, or cloud storage fees for that matter. Possibly a past employer has.

Most of my workplaces though have had redundant (to varying degrees) data centers, so a cloud provider has not been involved where storage is concerned. Data was replicated, backed up, stored offsite (Iron Mountain, most commonly).

For personal storage, I use both CrashPlan Small Business and Backblaze Personal plans, which are both marketed as offering unlimited storage and charge set monthly fees.

Storage fees notwithstanding, ingress of data at a cloud provider is usually free, so why should there be a charge for egress? Because they can?

Posted : 15/01/2024 9:40 am
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin
Topic starter

@jnew1213 I totally agree with you. The big cloud vendors have done their best over the past few years to lock companies into their cloud solutions and this is one of the ways they have done that with the network egress fees. I am just hoping this isn't a smoke-and-mirrors play by Google to charge somewhere else.  Surprised Iron Mountain is looks like an extremely cool set of data centers. I almost lined up a tour of one of their facilities but it didn't work out in the end.

Posted : 15/01/2024 6:45 pm
(@malcolm-r)
Trusted Member

my current job, where i've been the longest, also has 2 data centers. to my knowledge, we're not storing anything in the cloud that would have egress fees. anything in cloud storage would be data associated with some sort of SaaS, i.e. O365, ServiceNow, etc.

Posted : 15/01/2024 11:25 pm