Monitor VMware vSphere and ESXi with Netdata

6 Posts
2 Users
1 Reactions
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin
Topic starter

Anyone here using Netdata to monitor their vSphere environment or ESXi servers? @malcolm-r did I see you post you were using Netdata? What are you using it to monitor?

Posted : 21/12/2023 2:04 pm
(@malcolm-r)
Trusted Member

i'm actually not sure if netdata is supported on esxi. right now i use it to monitor VMs. it's a great quick and dirty way to get a performance overview. you can see all the stats locally, or if you sign up for their (free) cloud integration, it can pull all your monitoring into one dashboard with the ability to drill down into specific hosts and stats, etc:

Posted : 21/12/2023 4:50 pm
(@malcolm-r)
Trusted Member

oh just kidding, i guess it works just fine with vsphere: https://www.netdata.cloud/vsphere-monitoring/

Posted : 21/12/2023 4:50 pm
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin
Topic starter

@malcolm-r Cool yeah, I have a post coming out tomorrow covering setting it up for vCenter Server. I think it is a pretty painless monitoring solution overall for those that want to get up and running quickly with an environment.

Posted : 21/12/2023 4:54 pm
malcolm.r reacted
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin
Topic starter

Post is live here: https://www.virtualizationhowto.com/2023/12/netdata-vmware-vsphere-monitoring-configuration/

Posted : 22/12/2023 10:19 am
(@malcolm-r)
Trusted Member

hmm... i wonder what the "ideal" setup for this would be. do you have a dedicated host to run netdata that pulls from other sources? usually netdata runs directly on the host but for esxi monitoring (and other plugins) it's running on a different host.

it would be interesting to see how much you could load up a "standard" VM and set it to monitor as many other things as possible. Like maybe a 4 core Ubuntu VM with 4GB memory and just add a ton of monitoring.

Posted : 27/12/2023 12:46 am