Don't miss out on new posts! Sign up! Also, visit the VHT Forums!
Keypass Review 2024...

Notifications
Clear all

Keypass Review 2024: Is it still a good password manager?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin
Topic starter

Does anyone still use Keypass as a password manager? Belive it or not, I still have it loaded and use it from time to time. Curious what you guys are using. 

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/keepass-review/

Posted : 17/01/2024 10:44 pm
(@termv)

I use KeePassXC. I don't trust a SAAS for storing such important data. They're a high profile target with a large attack surface and there's no way to verify that your password data is actually adequately secured. SAAS'es also pull features over time to bump people into higher subscription tiers.

I definitely see the appeal of SAAS password managers though. KeePass et al require the ability to self-manage security, backups and replication. That's too high a bar for most people.

If I had to pick an online password manager I'd probably go with Bitwarden. The fact that it's open source and can be self-hosted provides me with a lot more comfort than a black-box solution.

Posted : 26/01/2024 10:17 pm
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin
Topic starter

@termv You definitely make some good points here. I can only imagine how often they are targeted. Self-hosting your own password solution is probably one of the safest options. I did this for years and replicated it using personal cloud storage and rolling my own encryption around the already encrypted DB to be even more secure. However, over the years, I ran into some snags across all devices due to one reason or the other. So, I did go the route of a SaaS solution. I will say though, I think the good ones know what is at stake and have implemented some pretty good security solutions. 

I am with you on Bitwarden. If I were going to host my own solution, it would be Bitwarden, with the new Bitwarden Unified deployment. I wrote a post covering the Unified install if you want to take a look here:

https://www.virtualizationhowto.com/2023/03/bitwarden-unified-docker-installation-self-hosted-password-manager/

Posted : 26/01/2024 11:12 pm