How to setup a Proxmox HA cluster config with HA virtual machines

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Reactions
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin
Topic starter

Check out the new post here on how to get a Proxmox HA cluster configured with HA virtual machines and how this can allow highly available VMs for your services.

https://www.virtualizationhowto.com/2024/01/proxmox-ha-cluster-configuration-for-virtual-machines/

Posted : 12/01/2024 10:47 am
(@t3hbeowulf)
Eminent Member

This is an excellent write-up and very quick introduction to creating a cluster in ProxMox with HA.
One thing I'd like to add is that if you're doing this on real hardware nodes with physical networks, consider using a separate physical network for VM/Container traffic vs. Cluster/admin traffic. (at least two physical network paths)
The reason this is important is that mechanism that ProxMox uses to sync cluster metadata is very sensitive to latency. If you're moving a lot of VM traffic around, it is possible for the cluster to think a node is offline, triggering unwanted HA migrations... which can exacerbate a heavy traffic situation. This is especially critical if you're using Ceph for shared storage as it moves a fair bit of data on its own.

Posted : 12/01/2024 10:26 pm
Brandon Lee reacted
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin
Topic starter

@t3hbeowulf Excellent insights again...Great real-world experience on that front. Definitely good to know. I may tackle a deep dive into Proxmox cluster networking as I get more miles behind me with my test clusters.

Posted : 13/01/2024 12:01 am