Notifications
Clear all

Setting up pfsense on proxmox with only two nics on my dell t420 server

10 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@tolx_)
Topic starter

hi Guys so this is my dilemma i have i have a server which has only two nics one already has been used for proxmox management, the other is free and i would like to use pfsense for my internal router , i have seen videos online where i could do this but my issue is that i have only one available nic left for me to do this because pf sense would need a wan and lan port which is two nics and i only have one left , what can i do to fixs this up and can i create a internal lan network in my proxmox to simulate a lan ... i will need your help guys

Posted : 08/03/2024 10:16 am
Topic Tags
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin

@tolx_ Welcome to the VHT forums! Great to have you here in the community. This should be doable using VLANs. With VLANs, you can carve up an existing single physical adapter so that it appears like multiple adapters that can be used for various purposes. Below is a crude drawing of what you could do:

With VLANs the number of physical uplinks is no longer limiting since you can present virtual interfaces to VMs, devices, etc. Let me know if this makes since or helps?

Posted : 08/03/2024 10:29 am
(@tolx_)
Topic starter

thank you, i have a netgear gs308e switch and i am trying to see how to add two vlans in one port and its not working 

Posted : 08/03/2024 5:35 pm
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin

@tolx_ it looks like the gs308e is VLAN capable just from a few searches I have done. Saw here that for most, you will find what you need under VLAN -> 802.1Q -> Advanced only. You will want to add VLAN tags to your ports where you uplink your second NIC from your Proxmox server with the VLANs you choose to use for WAN and LAN/other. Let me know if you see the VLAN, 802.1q, Advanced only menu in there.

Posted : 09/03/2024 7:32 pm
(@tolx_)
Topic starter

so i did all that you said and maybe i made a mistake in one of the steps 

i went to my Netgear switch and enabled vlan with 802.1q and for the port membership the first port is what is connected to my router and also the second 

i also played around with the pvid and made it this 

in my proxmox server, this was the setting i used  for enabling the vlans 

i tried pinging my host network and its not still working could you pls look at my configuration and let me know where i went wrong 

Posted : 15/03/2024 12:29 am
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin

@tolx_ Just at a glance, there may be a problem with tagged vs untagged traffic on your switch. Can you also post your configuration shown in /etc/network/interfaces on your Proxmox server? That will help give some more detail on what is being sent exactly on the Proxmox side.

Posted : 15/03/2024 7:58 am
(@tolx_)
Topic starter

this is what i have 

Posted : 15/03/2024 8:03 am
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin

@tolx_ Just looking at your screenshot. So the 192.168.20.21 IP address is your management IP that you are attempting to connect to for management right? Also, what VLAN are you expecting this IP to reside on and which switch port are you connecting it to?

Posted : 15/03/2024 9:31 am
(@tolx_)
Topic starter

ok so i am going to break this down better, eno1 is the management port that is connected to the router for me to be able to communincate with my server , eno2 is the port which i created the two vlans for vmbr1.100 and 200 and are the ports which i merged on my switch to port 3 ... so my issue now is that i cant communicate on those vlans connected tot he pfsense .. hopefully this makes sense 

Posted : 18/03/2024 10:08 pm
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin

@tolx_ would you be able to share screenshots of your pfSense configuration? It sounds like there may be a tagging issue coming from pfSense. If you are tagging the VLANs at the Proxmox host level, your pfSense VM would need untagged interfaces connected into those bridge interfaces if that makes sense? Let me know if you think you are tagging also from the pfSense side?

So if tagging from the pfSense side, you would need to remove the tag from the Proxmox side or vice versa. But the Proxmox bridge handling the VM traffic would need to be setup like a "trunk" port like you have on the base vmbr1. But you can also do it the way you have Proxmox configured, with VLAN 100 and 200 defined and just connect 2 untagged interfaces to those bridge ports on the pfSense side.

Posted : 20/03/2024 9:03 pm