Virtualization

Rapid Recovery no longer detects Exchange

If you have seen an issue where Rapid Recovery no longer detects Exchange, let's look at troubleshooting steps used to resolve this issue.

Highlights

  • I have found that issues like Rapid Recovery no longer detects Exchange often relates to some quirkiness between the agent on the protected server and the Core service on the Rapid Recovery server.
  •  If you are running the AppAssure version of the agent, which Rapid Recovery is backwards compatible with, this will be under “AppAssure” in the services, and if running the Rapid Recovery version of the agent, this will be listed under “Dell Data Protection | Rapid Recovery” service.
  • The typical agent Summary in Rapid Recovery when it detects the Exchange server database on a server looks like the following.

I had an issue recently with Rapid Recovery I wanted to detail for you guys in case you run into the same issue.  I noticed that Exchange logs were not getting truncated appropriately on the Exchange server.  Upon checking Rapid Recovery, I noticed the normal “Exchange” dropdown in the Summary window was gone.  This is an issue where Rapid Recovery no longer detects Exchange.

Rapid Recovery no longer detects Exchange

The typical agent Summary in Rapid Recovery when it detects the Exchange server database on a server looks like the following:

rrexchange02

As you can see, you have the “Exchange” dropdown that contains the Force Log truncation and set credentials options having to do with the Exchange database.  However, upon looking at my Exchange server summary, the drop down menu was now gone:

rrexchange01

As you can tell, the menu is no longer there with the normal Exchange server options.  This is definitely the reason my logs have not been truncating.

Solution

The solution was rather simple and involved the restarting of services.

  • First, restart the WMI service on the Exchange server
  • Next, restart the Agent service on the Exchange server
  • Finally, refresh the agent inside of the Rapid Recovery console

I know most of you know how to restart services, so not going to bore you with those details.  However, to refresh the agent status, you simply look in the Summary window and click the Refresh option.

rrexchange03

Evidently, the issue arises where the Core server loses connectivity with the agent and is unable to determine the server has Exchange loaded.  It can no longer communicate with the Exchange server database.  So then you have to make sure WMI is in a good state, as well as the Agent service.  If you are running the AppAssure version of the agent, which Rapid Recovery is backwards compatible with, this will be under “AppAssure” in the services, and if running the Rapid Recovery version of the agent, this will be listed under “Dell Data Protection | Rapid Recovery” service.

Final Thoughts

I have found that issues like Rapid Recovery no longer detects Exchange often relates to some quirkiness between the agent on the protected server and the Core service on the Rapid Recovery server.  A quick bounce of services many times will resolve issues such as the one described here.

Subscribe to VirtualizationHowto via Email 🔔

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Brandon Lee

Brandon Lee is the Senior Writer, Engineer and owner at Virtualizationhowto.com and has over two decades of experience in Information Technology. Having worked for numerous Fortune 500 companies as well as in various industries, Brandon has extensive experience in various IT segments and is a strong advocate for open source technologies. Brandon holds many industry certifications, loves the outdoors and spending time with family.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.