GMKtec Nucbox K8 with Ryzen 7 8845HS Mini PC

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin
Topic starter

The GMK NucBox K8 is equipped with an AMD Ryzen 7 8845HS CPU and two DDR5-5600 SODIMM memory slots, dual M.2 2280 slots for high-speed PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs, and excellent connectivity options, including USB4, HDMI, DisplayPort, and dual 2.5Gb Ethernet ports.

While it was initially available in China, it is now available in the US market, with the base model starting at $500. For those needing more power, a configured version with 32GB of RAM and 1TB of SSD storage is available for $650.

With dimensions of 129 x 127 x 48mm (5.1" x 5" x 1.9"), the NucBox K8 incorporates an effective dual-fan cooling system. GMK has designed it to support the Ryzen 7 8845HS processor operating at up to 65 watts, higher than its standard 54-watt configuration in similar devices, ensuring peak performance without overheating.

This device stands out with its AMD Ryzen 8040 series processor, featuring Zen 4 CPU cores, RDNA 3 integrated graphics, and a cutting-edge Ryzen AI neural processing unit. It's a powerhouse with 8 cores, 16 threads, capable of reaching CPU speeds of up to 5.1 GHz, a 12-core GPU maxing out at 2.7 GHz, and a 16 TOPS capability for the NPU. Operating at a 65-watt TDP allows the NucBox K8 to maintain its maximum performance for extended periods, thus providing enhanced sustained output.

It includes powerful connectivity options with the AMD RZ616 wireless card supporting WiFi 6E and Bluetooth 5.2. Note the following ports:

• 1 x USB4 (with DisplayPort Alt Mode and 100W USB power delivery)
  • 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A
  • 1 x USB 2.0 Type-A
  • 1 x DisplayPort 1.4
  • 1 x HDMI 2.0
  • 2 x 2.5 Gbps Ethernet
  • 1 x 3.5mm audio jack

The GMK NucBox K8 can be purchased in various memory and storage options directly from GMK's website or through Amazon.

https://www.gmktec.com/products/amd-ryzen-7-8845hs-mini-pc-nucbox-k8

Posted : 20/02/2024 7:59 pm
(@gra-rgirard)

I bought one of these and trying to install esxi 8.0.1 custom iso with community network drivers and can't get it to recognize the NICs.  Any ideas? With this not run ESXi? 

Posted : 12/03/2024 6:57 pm
Brandon Lee
(@brandon-lee)
Member Admin
Topic starter

@gra-rgirard I wasn't sure on the network adapters on this one, but GMKtec often configures these with Realtek NICs which are not supported in ESXi. You will need to use a USB network adapter for it to recognize the NIC. Ironically, VMware supports Realtek-based USB network adapters, so most of the current ones you can find on Amazon or other online sources will work. 

I know @malcolm-r picked up one recently for ESXi that was 2.5G. He may be able to give you the model that he pulled the trigger on. I have a generic 1 gig adapter made by Anker that works as well. Also, just to be aware, ESXi 8 includes the USB network drivers which is pretty cool since this used to be something you had to create a custom ISO for.

Posted : 12/03/2024 9:59 pm
(@gra-rgirard)

@brandon-lee Thanks for the reply Brandon!  What was throwing me off was before i made the purchase i asked their support what nics come with the K8 since i was aware of the Realtek / ESXi issue and they told me it came with Intel nics.  After trying like hell to get ESXi to install i then switched to proxmox and saw that they are in fact Realtek and was not happy as I never would've bought it if they told me the truth from the beginning.  Thanks again for your reply and all your videos.  Great for building out the home lab.

Posted : 15/03/2024 12:09 pm